Fall is Officially Here!
The autumnal equinox occurred on September 22nd. Fall is officially here and with it comes your honey-do lists preparing your home. Here are some home maintenance tips from the Travelers Risk Control professionals to help you prepare for the coming winter.
- Check your heating system. Have it cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
Replace your furnace filter in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to freezing temperatures.
- Check gutters for damage and confirm they’re securely attached to the house.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained by a professional.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under and behind the dryer.
- Check electrical outlets for loose-fitting plugs or receptacles. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible. Confirm that it is fully charged and ready for operation.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure you have a smoke detector in each bedroom or sleeping area and also, a smoke detector in the hallway outside each sleeping area. You should also make sure you have at least one smoke detector on each floor of your home, including your basement. Test them monthly, and change the battery annually or as needed.
The steps you take during the fall can help protect your home and property from more potentially expensive damage and emergency repairs in the colder months to come.