Preparing for boat season
It’s here. Launching your boat for the season. But, before you do so, here are some maintenance tips to get you ready. Create your list and check the tasks off one at a time.
- Clean hull, deck, and topsides
- Check all drains for blockages.
- Wash your boat and add a coat of wax to protect the paint.
- Clean your wood finishes and oil them.
- Clean fixtures like windows, hatches, blinds, and any other parts.
- Replace things like your wiper blades if they are worn
- Check for general damage like scratches, blisters
- Inspect your ladder, trim, rails, rudder, and fittings
- Inspect your stanchion, pulpits, lines fenders, and other items on the deck
- Check your port lights to make sure they are functioning. Change any bulbs that are burnt or damaged
- Check your seacocks, make sure they are working and lubricated
- Inspect your hoses and clamps
- Look at your waterline hoses
- Check your bilge pumps, make sure both their automatic and manual functions work
- Inspect your electrical systems, look to see if your battery is still good, if it needs to be recharged, or replaced
- Look at any major contact points for corrosion and other wear
- Inspect all visible wiring to see if it is frayed (also check for potential damage from animals chewing the wires)
- Make sure all your gauges are working
Once you have completed your list, you are ready to launch the boat for the season.