We’re committed to providing a website that’s as accessible as our branches.
Berkshire Insurance Group has implemented the recommendations of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) as published by the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), and this website endeavors to conform to Level AA 2.0 of the WCAG. There is no definitive test nor certification of conformance to Level AA 2.0 of the WCAG but we have used a variety of methods for assessing accessibility. While Berkshire Insurance Group strives to make every page accessible to users we cannot guarantee that every page is Level AA compliant. Berkshire Insurance Group has used WCAG guidelines for compliance as suggested by the Department of Justice. Though some of the compliance found in WCAG conforms with Section 508 Compliance, we are not Section 508 Compliant. Berkshire Insurance Group chose to use WCAG for compliance because they are determined by the W3C, the consortium that makes all guidelines for the Internet, worldwide.
We recommend using the most current versions of Google Chrome, Safari, or Mozilla Firefox. These browsers offer easy-to-use controls for adjusting the size and colors of content on a webpage. By using the controls, you can personalize the way content is presented in your browser. We’re also pleased to share the following tips to help you interact with our digital platforms in the manner that works best for you. We do not recommend using Internet Explorer.
How to zoom your screen:
- On Windows, press the Windows key and plus sign (+) at the same time to zoom in. You can also use the “Magnifier” application under “Accessories”.
- On a Mac, go to “System Preferences”, open “Universal Access” and select the “Seeing” tab. Check the box under “Zoom” to “On”.
- On your Apple device, tap “Settings”, then “General”, then “Accessibility”. Tap the “Zoom” button and toggle it “On”.
- Another trick is to use “Ctrl” (“Cmd” on Mac) plus the plus (+) or minus (-) keys when you’re in a web browser.
- Got a touch screen computer? You can use your fingers to zoom in and out.
How to adjust font size or color:
- Using Google Chrome, go to “Settings” and clock on the “Appearance” header. From here you can adjust font size, colors and turn on accessibility options.
- In Safari, increase the font size, press Option+Command++ (the plus sign). To decrease the font size, press Option+Command+- (the minus sign). Alternatively, to increase the font size, go to View and select Make Text Bigger.
- Using Mozilla Firefox, choose “Options”, then “Content”, and finally “Fonts & Colors”.
How to find and use a screen reader: Berkshire’s digital platforms are aligned with W3C standards and, as a result, are compatible with a variety of current assistive technologies, including screen readers. Screen readers are text-to-speech software that allow people of all abilities to interact with content in the way which works best for them. Individuals who may not be able to perceive what is on the screen will use them allow for audible access of our digital content. We strive to ensure that our content is accessible to screen readers and consumers of all abilities. There are several options available including NVDA, JAWS Talkback and VoiceOver. We recommend using JAWS for Windows and Internet Explorer and NVDA with Mozilla Firefox. For Android devices and Google Chrome Talkback may work best. On iOS and Safari you may find VoiceOver to be the best solution.
We’re Here to Help
If you find a part of our website or digital experience does not conform to Level AA 2.0 of the WCAG or meet your expectations, please contact us or visit one of our conveniently located branches so that we can assist you.
Helpful Accessibility Links:
- Use Chrome with Accessibility Extensions
- Accessibility Features in Firefox
- Android Accessibility Overview
- Apple Accessibility
(Rev. April 27, 2021)
Life is exciting. Let us help.
- Spirited advocates with the products and services to support your needs
- Trusted neighbors, active in your community
- Forward-thinkers who support you with valuable tools and resources